Simple tips to have more confidence in yourself

Confidence is something that all of us, especially us women wish we had more of. We are constantly comparing ourselves to others who seem to have tons of confidence & we wish we were more like that. We wish we could just live confidently & authentically.

Here’s the thing- YOU CAN! You absolutely have all the power inside of you to reach that level of confidence that you desire. There are just a couple tips that I have to help you gain that confidence!

PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU TELL YOURSELF

The most prominent characteristic of someone who is confident is that they believe in themselves. When you believe in yourself, you are more likely to carry yourself more confidently than when you don’t believe in yourself. It seems simple, but this is definitely the very first thing to do when trying to live more confidently. But, this doesn’t come without training your brain to stop saying all of those mean things to yourself. 

Make it a goal to start creating awareness around all the things that you say to yourself & try to challenge yourself to replace negative self talk with a positive one. Once you start to train your brain to think of yourself more positively, the more likely you are to start believing in yourself & living more confidently.

CREATE HEALTHY HABITS

The more you take care of yourself, the better you will feel. 

At the end of the day, how you treat yourself & your body will have a major impact on how you feel about yourself overall. Did you know that the food that you eat has an impact on how you feel? On your mental health? So, if you are eating crappy food all the time, you are probably going to feel crappy. The result of feeling crappy often leads to beating yourself up, getting angry at yourself, self sabotage, not believing in yourself to be able to do certain things, etc, etc. 

Creating healthy habits into your lifestyle will have such a major impact on your life & how you feel about yourself, you might be surprised! When you take care of yourself, the better you will feel and the more confident energy you will put out into the world. These habits might look different for different people, but some ideas include (definitely not limited to): 

  • Moving your body
  • Feeding your body healthy foods
  • Picking up a book instead of watching so much TV
  • Making it a goal to park further away in the parking lot so you can get in extra steps

When you take the time to engage in some simple habits, you are more likely to start feeling better about yourself. Incorporating simple healthy habits throughout your day can make a HUGE impact on how you feel overall. 

Sometimes, it can often cause a ripple effect. Meaning, one simple habit is likely to lead to another, and another, and another. 

SET THE RIGHT GOALS & ACTIONABLE STEPS TO ACHIEVE THEM

Here’s the thing, I’m actually not much of a fan of setting goals, but I have worked hard on creating more confidence around my ability to achieve all of my goals & aspirations. 

Setting goals is something that we all know is very important to making sure that you are continuing to move forward, staying focused, but if you don’t approach them right, they won’t work right. When you don’t think you are achieving your goals, it really affects your overall confidence in yourself.

When I used to set goals, I only focused on the big picture & often on things that were not in my control. Things like, getting a job, making enough money to move out of my parents house, etc. These things are great goals to have, but achieving those goals are in the hands of someone else. Instead of focusing on the big picture, you have to break it down into things that you are in control of. Like, making it a goal to apply to 10 jobs a day & ask for feedback if you don’t get the job. 

When you break your goals down into actionable steps that you can start taking, it’s so much easier to actually reach your goals and feel really good about it. When you see that you are reaching your goals, you have so much more confidence in yourself & your abilities!

What can you start doing TODAY to get you to that goal?

FACE YOUR FEARS & START TAKING ACTION 

One of the most important things that you have to do in order to gain more confidence in yourself is to start facing your fears. Fears in terms of something that you know you need to do in order to gain confidence in yourself. Something like, public speaking or taking the leap to start your own business. 

In order to have more confidence in yourself, you have to start getting uncomfy & doing things that make you want to jump out of your skin. Trust me, every single time that I have done something that scares the crap out of me, I not only grow from the experience, but I gain so much more confidence in myself & my abilities.  

So, what is something that you really want to do, but you know there is a possibility that it could take you to the next level?

Do that. Be okay with failing because that’s where growth happens.

Related: 9 Simple Tips to Improve Your Life

SEE THE OPPORTUNITIES & LEARNING EXPERIENCES IN FAILURES

When you start facing your fears & start taking scary action, you are more likely to fail & fall on your face quite a bit. That’s not to scare you or anything, but to empower you. There is such a negative connotation with failing, because it means that you didn’t succeed. 

Every failure comes with a learning experience. When you fail, you get uncomfortable, but you stand back up knowing more than you did before and you keep going. When you keep going, you start to feel more confident in yourself. It might be a journey, but when you look back at all that you have been able to accomplish, it really puts things into perspective about how much you have truly accomplished.

I talk about this in my post about how Getting Fired Was The Best Thing To Happen To Me. Getting fired is often seen as a bad thing, right? It’s seen as a “failure”. But, I took that learning experience and turned it into building my own business because I learned that I wasn’t meant to be proving myself to Corporate America. 

You can let your failures hold you down & discourage you, or you can see them as a learning experience & allow growth to happen from it. It might feel crappy for a little bit, but when you are able to shift this perception, it is incredibly empowering. 

JOURNAL ABOUT YOUR STRENGTHS, YOUR EXPERIENCES & WHAT YOU LOVE ABOUT YOURSELF 

I often write about & preach about the benefits of journaling & I do because I truly believe in the therapeutic nature of it. In addition to practicing positive self talk, it’s also important to write about everything that is going on. 

Write it all down! Get yourself a nice journal & make it a habit to write in it daily. Write down everything that is going right now- what you love about yourself, what you are happy about, what is bothering you, what you are going to do to continue moving forward. If you don’t deal with the emotions that you are feeling & also take the time to acknowledge & celebrate yourself, you are going to continue to stay stuck.

Many success stories & successful people include journaling constantly in their daily routine in order to get everything out of their subconscious & work through what is going on. It’s something that you have to do! 

Journaling can even help with working through any limiting beliefs you might have, what is bothering you right now. It can help you have breakthroughs & “aha!” moments. 

If you are struggling with what to write about, I wrote a post on 50 Journal Prompts For Self Reflection & Self Discovery that you might find helpful! Inside that post is also a free printable guide that you can download! ❤

STOP COMPARING YOURSELF & YOUR SUCCESS TO OTHERS 

Here’s the thing that I really want you to think about. We are all on this journey of life- we’re all different & in different points of our journey. We have all had different life experiences that have lead us to where each of us are today, which means that we are all going to be at different point of our life. When you are comparing yourself to someone else, where they are, you are sabotaging your beliefs about yourself. You are looking at them and thinking, “why isn’t that me?” It’s not you because you aren’t them!

If you find that you are having trouble not comparing yourself, stop following certain people on social media- even if it’s friends or family. It doesn’t mean that you don’t care about them, it’s just something that you need to do in order to stop the habit. 

Once you can your power back from other people, that’s when they magic can really begin.

I have gotten to a point where I actually feel EMPOWERED & MOTIVATED when I see others succeed. I absolutely LOVE seeing others, especially women, absolutely crushing it. It’s a form of motivation for myself & it lights a fire under me to continue working on myself and my own goals. 

This ultimately helps me feel better, more confident in myself because I know that if they can do it, so can I. You have to b e l i e v e in yourself!


At the end of the day, confidence is something that we all want. We all want to go out and live life to the absolute fullest. I got myself fired up writing this post & I hope you got fired up reading it!

YOU have the power inside of you to get the most out of life. Confidence isn’t something that only some people are lucky enough to have. Sometimes, it takes a lot of inner work & lifestyle changes to get to that point, but it’s something so worth it. 

You have this one life to live, don’t hold yourself back from getting the most out of it! ❤

xx,
-Jess

9 things to stop doing to get the most out of life

I’ve said this many times, but we all the the power inside of ourselves to get the most out of life & reach our fullest potential. While we all have this potential, we are often the ones holding our own selves back.

I’m very passionate about living life to the fullest because we all have this one life to live. We have this one life and we are the ones holding ourselves back from getting the most out of this life.

Over the last couple of years, I have come to realize all of the things that I am in control of & how I have been focusing on the wrong things. In this post, I am laying out 9 of the most prevalent things that I bet you are probably doing, that you should probably stop doing so you can start getting the most out of life. ❤

Making excuses.

We are constantly making excuses for ourselves, even when we don’t even notice it. Do you ever catch yourself saying things like:

  • “I don’t have time”
  • “I don’t have what it takes”
  • “I will never be able to be successful”
  • “I’m not pretty enough”
  • “I’m not good enough”
  • “Nothing ever works out for me”

Whether you want to believe it or not, those are all excuses. They are all excuses holding yourself back from living your life to the fullest. They are excuses that keep you right where you are. In order to get the most out of life, you have to get rid of those constant excuses for not showing up fully for yourself.

Try to catch yourself making these excuses. You are probably saying them so much that you just believe it and don’t even consider it to be an excuse. But, it is! Get rid of those excuses & start taking ACTION on your life & reaching those goals of yours!

Complaining all the time.

This is a big one and something that I think it really important to try to monitor in order to start getting the most out of life. Constantly complaining about every little inconvenience really trains your brain to go into this “woe-is-me” mentality & will also have you stressing out about things that really don’t need your energy. Once I started taking the time to create an awareness around all of the things I was complaining about throughout each day, it became really clear why I was feeling so frustrated all the time. These things are often not in our control & honestly, not worth getting all worked up about.

Really take the time to think about all the things that you are complaining about throughout the day. 

Things like,

  • Too many people at the grocery store
  • The person in front of you driving too slow
  • Food service is slow

There are just so many things that you are probably complaining about to yourself that you don’t even know about. But I think that it is really important to create an awareness around everything you are complaining about because it does start to weigh heavy on your subconscious. You start doing it automatically without even knowing that you are doing it and it’s going to start making you not feel so good about yourself. 

So, create an awareness around all the things that you catch yourself complaining about. Especially with what others are doing and create alternative perceptions. Even if the other person isn’t doing something for that reason, it really makes you feel so much better overall. 

This is definitely so much easier said than done, but creating the awareness is the first step!

Beating yourself up.

We are all the biggest bullies to ourselves. When something doesn’t go the way we expect it to, we get hard on ourselves. One thing that I urge you to try to do is to remember that you must not get hard on yourself during these times. Beating yourself up for whatever reason it may be will get you nowhere except keep you going even further downhill. 

I’ve noticed this to be especially prevalent in my early to mid-twenties and I think it’s pretty common around this age for most people. It’s the time in our lives when we are set free to really figure out who we are and what we are supposed to be doing with our lives. Every time we think we are getting closer to getting it figured out, something happens to throw us off track a little bit. 

When this started happening to me, I was thinking that I was the only one going through this. I just assumed that everyone else my age was getting things all figured out and they were happily progressing without any problems. When you think you’re the only one going through something, it’s very discouraging. 

Trust me, I know this very well. I spent about 3 years trying to find a job, getting another degree, revising my resume, countless applications & interviews and ended up getting fired from the job I finally got after just 5 weeks. Talk about discouraging! While it was frustrating and discouraging, I’ve come to realize that Getting Fired Was The Best Thing To Happen To Me!

The most important piece of advice that I received in terms of getting through this was to not beat myself up. If you can shift your perception on the situation to the best of your ability, you can see this in a whole new light.

Give yourself some grace here! If you want some extra tips, make sure you check out my blog on The Importance of Self-Care!

Avoiding facing your fears.

A lot of people don’t reach their full potential because they are letting fear win. They stay in their comfort zone forever because they think it’s better than what potentially could happen if they get uncomfy & take risks.

However, it is really important to understand that all of your dreams, success, best life is on the other side of that fear. It takes doing things that makes your heart feel like it’s going to beat out of your chest. It takes really stepping out of that comfort bubble, taking risks & doing things that truly scares you. If it scares you, you are probably on the right track.

What is something that you really want to do, but you know there is a possibility that it could take you to the next level?

Do that. Be okay with failing because that’s where growth happens.

Putting pressure on yourself to get everything done.

One of the most common questions that I get as a Life Coach is how to balance everything. How in the world are you supposed to get everything done in the day?!

The quick answer: You don’t. So try not to put the pressure on yourself to get all the things done. 

Don’t put the pressure on yourself to be a perfect parent, work 80hrs a week, cook 3 healthy meals a day, volunteer at all of your kids events, get in an hour an a half workout 5 times a week, have a solid social life, get 8 hours of sleep every night and be smiling all day everyday.

I teach creating a balanced lifestyle, but I don’t teach trying to balance every single little thing. Here’s the thing: I believe that there’s really only 3 things that you really want to balance at a time. How much better does 3 things sounds than ALLLL of the things?! So much better.. Not to mention more realistic and attainable. 

Don’t be afraid to ask for help for other things. Do you have a spouse that can help with meals and watching the kids? Can you get a meal delivery service for some of your meals during the week?

There are so many options to help you keep things under control. Don’t put the pressure on yourself to be perfect at balancing everything all the time. You are human. You have one life and you must live it to the fullest.

Also, you are doing a great job & deserve to be kind to yourself!

Saying mean things to yourself.

I saw a quote recently, I forget where & who said it but it has stuck with me and I think it is really important. It said something along the lines of:

“You talk to yourself the most. Make sure you are saying the right things.”

Inner dialogue is so important. 

We, especially us women are so hard on ourselves and so quick to beat ourselves up. Like complaining, your inner dialogue becomes automatic, but your subconscious always remembers. 

We are so quick to tear our bodies apart and tell ourselves how we have fallen short in different areas. We say things to ourselves that we would never say to someone else. 

As cliche as it sounds and as silly as it may sound, start paying attention to all the things that you say to yourself on a daily basis. You may be surprised by what you notice.

Living life based on what others want you to do.

As humans, we care a lot about what others think of us. It’s human nature because we literally need interaction and acceptance to survive. 

However, I’ve come to realize that it is really common for us to do things & live life based on what we think others want us to do. 

I wrote a post on Breaking Free From Society & Creating A Life You Love & I think you should check it out if this resonates with you. 

This is your life. You should live how YOU want to.

Comparing yourself to others/Getting jealous.

Comparing yourself to someone else is the fastest way to halt any possibility to get the most out of life. However, I understand that it is so much easier said than done to get rid of this comparison. 

Take yourself out of situations where you are going to compare yourself to others while you work on yourself. Once you take your power back from other people, that’s when the magic can really begin.

Avoiding doing things that you love.

Really sit and think about this for a moment. What are some things that you really love doing? What makes you really happy that you aren’t putting much- if any- attention to? 

This goes along with doing things based on what others think of you because you might be avoiding them because you are worried about what others may think of you. 

Seriously, sit down and really think about this. What do you really love that you aren’t doing right now? What makes you REALLY happy & feel alive?


Remember, this is YOUR life. Don’t hold yourself back. You are amazing & have so much to offer this world. Start living your life & go after your dreams. ❤

xx,
Jess

An open letter to my black friends, peers & the community

You’ve changed the world.

I have taken the last week to really listen to you. To try to educate myself better, listen deeply to your cries for help, your personal experiences, your worries and frustrations. 

What I’ve come to understand is that even though I’ve always loved you, cared about you and knew there was still racial injustice & knew police brutality was still an issue, I didn’t hear you as loud as I should have. 

I’ve allowed myself to hide in the safety & silence that comes with my white privilege. 

But look around,

You’ve changed the world.

You’ve brought 400+ cities across all 50 states and 13 other countries together. You’ve done something that nobody else has ever done. You’ve rewritten the history books.

You said enough is enough and you forced us into necessary discomfort. 

In recent years, I’ve come to understand to a certain extent that racial injustice and police brutality still exists. I understood & supported Colin Kaepernick taking a knee and I listened to your stories and personal experiences, but I didn’t do enough. I didn’t do enough because I didn’t know there was anything I could say or do, so I didn’t. 

We didn’t listen to all of your cries for help because we were stuck in the safety of our white privilege. We were stuck in our white privilege while you’ve been fighting this pandemic on a daily basis. No, not COVID-19. Racism. 

While we had the choice to stay silent, you didn’t have a choice because you were fighting and we didn’t listen. 

I made a Facebook post about my experience at a protest in Downtown Columbus on June 2. In one part I wrote:

We walked past all of the businesses that were boarded up from the broken glass that occurred Thursday night. You know what I saw when I saw those businesses boarded up?

Pain.

Pain, hurting, frustration, disappointment, from centuries of slavery, beatings, rape, innocent murders, racial injustice, tired of being silent, decades of broken promises and being unheard on the land that their ancestors built.

Did you listen when Colin Kaepernick took a knee?

If not, I bet you are listening now. I know I am. On a deeper level than I was before.

I’ve been guilty of saying, “I don’t see color!”, which is great, but that completely dismisses the fact that racism & brutality still exists and I (& the rest of the white community) have been silent. 

In another part of that Facebook post, I wrote:

We all sat on the grass and listened to stories of what this moment meant to them. Their voices were raspy & tired from their 6th night of protesting. While tired, they were energized from what this moment meant to them.

One of them said he talked to an older man that told him that he was passing on what he didn’t finish in the 60s.

THE SIXTIES AND WE ARE STILL DOING THE SAME THING IN 2020.

I have to be honest with you. Growing up, I thought everyone was treated equal. I thought everything was fixed during the Civil Rights Movement and there were only a handful of people who were still racist. But, I didn’t realize people really still experienced racism on a daily basis, I had no idea that this was still a systemic issue.

Hearing stories and how passionate and exhausted the community is from the lack of improvement in our society made me realize how serious this really is. 

In that Facebook post, I continued to say:

Right before we were getting ready to head back to the state house, they said to us “Listen, the same cops that were nice to us at the State House are knocking down those water stations now, ready to shoot us with tear gas and rubber bullets. We aren’t going to run away, we are going to link arms and walk through it together.”

So that’s what we did.

In that moment, I knew I was experiencing the most American thing I have ever experienced in my entire life. No, not any 4th of July fireworks show. No, it was walking linked arms, all races and ages, walking together towards a common goal.

Even though I was mentally preparing myself to get tear gassed and shot with rubber bullets, it was the safest I felt because I knew that even if one person got hurt, everyone would rush to their rescue.

You’ve knocked me- all of us- out of alignment. You forced all of us to be uncomfortable, and thank goodness you did. 

I know this is a hard time. I know it’s scary and frustrating, but I want you to know that I am proud of you. You have done something that nobody has ever done before and you have truly made all of us realize how serious this truly is.

Here are some things you have taught me:

  • Even though I love you & have always supported you, I haven’t done enough
  • That I have allowed myself to stay silent in my white privilege
  • The level of racism you still experience on a daily basis
  • What truly matters 

Look around you! You’ve changed the world. You’ve rewritten the history books.

This doesn’t stop here. A couple weeks of protests and a black picture isn’t enough and I understand that.

Moving forward, I promise to:

  • Continue educating myself
  • Do my best to educate others
  • Stand up to racism that I see online and in person
  • Stand up to my racist family members
  • Continue donating to causes related to the black communities
  • Buying from black owned businesses
  • Listening to you

My actions and promises aren’t limited to this list, but it’s a start. I’m sorry I haven’t done enough before, but I promise that I will continue doing better.

I hear you. I love you. I’m proud of you. This is just the beginning.

You’ve changed the world. You’ve rewritten the history books.

9 Simple Tips to Improve Your Life

My belief: how you feel about yourself, show up for yourself & what you choose to focus on determines what you get out of life. We all have the power within ourselves to get the most out of life, but we are often the ones holding ourselves back.

I believe the base foundation to getting the most out of life starts from within. It starts with challenging yourself & believing in yourself.

I believe that we are the ones holding ourselves back and we have the control to shift how we show up for ourselves & truly love our life. At the end of the day, what is the point of life if you don’t love it?

We have one shot at this life. 
We are all so lucky to be here. 
We have the power inside of us to really make an impact on the world & live life the way WE want to. 

Doesn’t that sound amazing? 

In this post, I am sharing my 9 simple tips that you can start implementing TODAY to start working toward living your best life ❤ Let’s dig in!

Create healthy habits

The more you take care of yourself, the better you will feel. 

These habits might look different for different people, but some ideas include (definitely not limited to): 

  • Moving your body
  • Feeding your body healthy foods
  • Picking up a book instead of watching so much TV
  • Making it a goal to park further away in the parking lot so you can get in extra steps

When you take the time to engage in some simple habits, you are more likely to start feeling better about yourself. Incorporating simple healthy habits throughout your day can make a HUGE impact on how you feel overall. 

Sometimes, it can often cause a ripple effect. Meaning, one simple habit is likely to lead to another, and another, and another. 

CREATE helpful ROUTINES

Create a morning routine  

We’ve all heard all about how setting a solid morning routine is incredibly important for starting the day. I don’t believe there’s one “perfect” morning routine universal for everyone. What works really well for me might not work for you and vice versa and that’s OK! But, I do think it’s important for everyone to set one for themselves & test out different strategies to figure out what that ideal morning routine looks like. 

The thing about routines is that they change often. They change with us, when certain life shifts happen. For me, it’s changed many times over the years & especially with starting my own business working from home.

Personally, I’m a BIG morning person. I’m definitely one of those “annoying morning people” that people like to complain about. I just think mornings are so peaceful, especially early mornings. I love getting up early before the sun and taking my time to get ready for the day because how I spend my mornings definitely sets the tone for how the rest of the day is going to be. 

Create an evening routine

I talk about this importance of self care & creating a solid morning routine, but having a solid night routine is just as important. Your night routine is important because it allows you to prepare for the next day!

After some trial & error with my night routine, I have figured out a routine that works for me and makes sure that I am getting the sleep I need & preparation that I need.

Journal

I talk about journaling often, but I do because I wholeheartedly believe in it. I believe in the therapeutic nature of getting everything out of your head and onto paper.

Many success stories & successful people include journaling constantly to get everything out of their subconscious & work through what is going on. 

This can help with working through any limiting beliefs you might have, what is bothering you right now. It can help you have breakthroughs & “aha!” moments. 

If you are struggling with what to write about, I wrote a post on 50 Journal Prompts For Self Reflection & Self Discovery that you might find helpful! Inside that post is also a free printable guide that you can download! ❤

So, grab your journal and get to writing!

Express gratitude daily

Expressing gratitude daily is something that I recently started incorporating into my routine and I have seen a huge difference in how I feel overall. Often, we are so used to going about our days complaining about things that we don’t have in our lives & getting frustrated with the inconveniences. But, taking the time everyday to list 3-5 things that you are thankful for can change your entire perception of what is going on.

When you start shifting your mindset & the perception around what you are focusing on, it will seriously change how you show up for yourself everyday.

I don’t just mean express the same obvious things every day- like your parents, friends, etc. Which are all great to be grateful for, but I mean challenging yourself to take the time to show gratitude for simply being alive, your healthy body, having access to clean water, the sun coming up this morning, even all of the road blocks & learning experiences. 

I personally love The Five Minute Journal!

I love this journal because it’s quick & gets right to the point. I’ve been using this journal for a couple years now and it’s really good for getting you in the habit of expressing gratitude.

You have prompts to write about at the start of the day and a reflection to do at the end of the day. The page starts off with a quote or a “weekly challenge”, followed by having you list 3 things you’re grateful for, 3 things that would make the day great and a daily affirmation.

Then, at the end of the day, you reflect on how the day went. Having you write about 3 things that went well and listing what would have made the day better. Even on those days that you feel didn’t go so well, this really helps to be able to find some positives in what you might think there aren’t any.

I love this journal & highly recommend you get your hands on it! ❤

Get rid of excuses

Ah, yes. Good ol’ excuses. We are constantly making excuses for ourselves, even when we don’t even notice it. 

  • “I don’t have time”
  • “I don’t have what it takes”
  • “I will never be able to be successful”
  • “I’m not pretty enough”
  • “I’m not good enough”
  • “Nothing ever works out for me”

Whether you want to believe it or not, those are all excuses. They are all excuses holding yourself back from living your life to the fullest. They are excuses that keep you right where you are.

In order to get the most out of life, you have to get rid of those constant excuses for not showing up fully for yourself.

Get rid of comparison to others

Comparing yourself to someone else is the fastest way to halt any possibility to get the most out of life. However, I understand that it is so much easier said than done to get rid of this comparison. 

Take yourself out of situations where you are going to compare yourself to others while you work on yourself. Once you can your power back from other people, that’s when they magic can really begin.

Face your fears

A lot of people don’t reach their full potential because they are letting fear win. They stay in their comfort zone forever because they think it’s better than what potentially could happen if they get uncomfy.

What is something that you really want to do, but you know there is a possibility that it could take you to the next level?

Do that. Be okay with failing because that’s where growth happens. 

Set attainable goals

Setting goals is something that I have always struggled with because I wasn’t doing it right. I always focused on the big picture goal- the goal that may or may not be in my control. 

When you break your goals down into actionable steps that you can start taking, it’s so much easier to actually reach your goals and feel really good about it. 

What can you start doing TODAY to get you to that goal?

Pay attention to what you focus on

PROTECT YOUR ENERGY! Create an awareness around where you are choosing to place your energy. Why are you focusing on that particular thing? Is it helpful? Does it make you feel good or does it make you feel icky?

Mindset & perception are both really important in living your best life. Protect your energy & start creating an awareness around where you are focusing your energy. 

You will probably be really surprised how much you are placing your energy in unhelpful places. 


YOU have the power inside of yourself to get the most out of this life. 
YOU deserve it, babe ❤ I hope you found this to be helpful!

Join The Mindset Movement for more in-depth information & personalized plan for you!

xx,
Jess

What I’ve learned during lockdown

I have to admit, being in lockdown for 2 months during the COVID-19 outbreak has taught me a lot. At a time where life seemed to be moving so fast, always being busy, we have been forced out of our routines & to deal with something that we never thought we would ever have to deal with.

It’s been a difficult time for everyone. Having to adjust to the “new normal” was difficult for everyone. Now that we are on our way out of this craziness, I’ve done some reflection. 

This time has taught me a lot of valuable lessons. While I wish these lessons didn’t have to happen due to a global pandemic, my perception of daily life has been shifted. Things that used to matter to me, don’t matter anymore & things that I never paid much attention to are getting my greatest gratitude. 
Related: Self Care & Activities During Quarantine, Tips for working from home, Staying on track while stuck at home during quarantine, My Morning Routine During Quarantine


Here’s what I’ve learned during this time: 

NOT TO BE so RIGID WITH MY ROUTINES

I am a very routine-oriented person. Always have been, probably always will be. I rely so much on my routine that when I get knocked out out my routine, it’s really hard to get back. 

Like everyone else, my routines had to be shifted. I was no longer able to go to the gym in the morning, work on my own schedule at home by myself, free to run errands when I wanted without much hassle. 

At first, it was really hard. But, after some time I realized that maybe it’s a good thing that I was forced out of my routine so that I can experience other things. Do I prefer my routine? Yes, of course. But, I am now understanding that I don’t have to be so rigid. That I am completely capable of functioning without being strictly in that routine. 

I learned that I am now able to get in a workout at home in the afternoon if I can’t go to the gym in the morning or feel like I need to sleep in. Before, I was in the mindset that if I don’t workout early in the morning, there is no way that a workout is going to happen at all. 
Related: How/ Why I Go To The Gym At 5AM, 3 Tips for Early Morning Workouts

APPRECIATION FOR THE LITTLE THINGS

There are so many things that I have realized that I took advantage of, not even realizing how much I should be appreciating them.

Things like:

  • going to the gym
  • hugs
  • handshakes
  • running errands
  • toilet paper (lol)
  • going out to dinner
  • hanging out with friends/family
  • being able to be face-to-face with someone
  • getting my hair cut

These things that I once thought were no big deal are now something that I cherish. Since it’s all been taken away for a period of time, it carries so much meaning. So many things to be grateful for. 

I’m simply just appreciating all of the little things that I am now realizing mean so much. There’s nothing more powerful.

MOST PEOPLE ARE GOOD

Despite all the bad news we’ve been hearing and are used to hearing, I’ve heard some of the most amazing stories. 

Usually when you turn on the news, it’s full of bad news. But, I’ve heard amazing stories of people going out of their way to help others who are struggling, people are getting creative to make sure that birthdays and other celebrations are special. People are just going above & beyond to make sure that they are doing what they can to make sure everyone gets through this time.



During a time when things feel so crazy, odd, out of control- things have slowed down. Even though it’s uncomfortable, maybe it’s a good thing. Maybe it’s necessary. Maybe this time to get knocked out of our routine and into uncomfortable situations is what we needed.

I’m hoping that when things start getting back to normal, we all start enjoying the little things in life. For the little things are what makes life so amazing.

What has this unprecedented time taught you?!

xx
jess

My night routine for a more productive morning

I talk about this importance of self care & creating a solid morning routine, but having a solid night routine is just as important. Your night routine is important because it allows you to prepare for the next day!

After some trial & error with my night routine, I have figured out a routine that works for me and makes sure that I am getting the sleep I need & preparation that I need.

Turn electronics off by 7pm

Like a lot of people, I have always enjoyed laying in bed, watching TV until my eyes get sleepy and about to fall asleep. I also got into a habit of doing some social media scrolling at the same time as well. But, when I started having a hard time falling asleep, I was experiencing some extreme anxiety and those things started to not help me out at all. I know a lot of people mention turning off electronics, but watching TV & scrolling really did help me out in terms of helping me fall asleep (so I thought).

So, I started turning off my TV and stop scrolling an hour before I go to bed. I’m not perfect and don’t always follow this, but when I do, it definitely helps being able to refocus and start calming my mind down. However, I know that some people actually enjoy watching TV right before bed and find it to be incredibly relaxing. Whatever works for you! But, if you start noticing constant struggle to fall asleep, I would recommend at least giving this a try!

Take Melatonin

About an hour before I go to bed, I usually take 3-6g of melatonin. This is just a natural remedy to help you naturally fall asleep. I personally love melatonin because it helps me fall asleep, but it doesn’t make me feel all groggy the next morning. When I take a sleep aid, I can sometimes feel all groggy and half asleep if I didn’t get enough sleep for the sleep aid to wear off. Right now, I am enjoying the Nature Made Melatonin.

Turn on the essential oil diffuser 

I absolutely love my essential oil diffuser! An hour before bed, I also like to turn on my essential oil diffuser. There’s something so relaxing about diffusing lavender/eucalyptus/ tea tree oil to calm your mind. I have mine sitting right next to my bed on my night stand. I love climbing into bed with relaxing aroma already there, mmmm allll the calming feels right there!

The oil that I like to use is Pure Aroma because it comes in a package that contains allll of the oils that I like to use on a daily basis. I usually always have one package in my amazon cart because I know that I’m going to need a refill!

If you don’t have an essential oil diffuser yet, I would recommend getting one that comes with some oils to get you started, like this one. That way you can test out which oils you really like so you know which ones you would like to get a refill on.

Prep the coffee maker & breakfast

Something that doesn’t take a lot of time, but helps with the flow of the morning, is making sure that everything is prepped for breakfast. The more I am able to prep, the more fluid my morning is!

  • Putting coffee & water in the coffee maker
  • Cracking eggs into Tupperware
  • Measuring oats

Wash my face, put on a face mask 

Something that I find that I tend to talk myself out of is making sure I wash my face & brush my teeth before bed. But, I have started making sure I make this a priority & a part of my self care routine.

I try to do a face scrub & face mask a couple times a week. I love the options that I get in my FabFitFun boxes! They always send such high quality products and it’s so fun to try them all!

Set out clothes & gym bag for the morning

The first thing that I do in the morning is go to the gym. (Note: I wrote this post before the COVID-19 outbreak, you can read about my updated morning routine during quarantine).

To make sure that the morning starts of smoothly, I set out everything that I need to get ready for the gym. Since I get up before my boyfriend, I lay out everything that I need in the bathroom!

A lot of people wonder how I workout so early in the morning. One of my main tips is actually getting ready for the gym. It sounded like a crazy idea to me at first, but I actually recommend getting ready for the gym. Doing this actually wakes up my body, rather than getting to the gym feeling like a zombie.

Here’s what I set out the night before to get ready for the gym:

  • Water- I start drinking right when I get up!
  • Workout clothes
  • Personal hygiene items
  • Hair ties

Reflection journaling 

After I get everything prepared for the next day, I climb into bed for the remainder of my night routine.

A part of my morning routine is journaling & expressing gratitude. Before I go to sleep, I take the time to reflect on my day. This has become a really important part of my routine because it really helps put things in perspective. Sometimes, we can focus on all the bad things that happen throughout the day.

As a Mindset Coach, I truly believe in the power of perception. When we start looking for the silver lining in situations, it really helps with putting things in perspective.

That’s why I love the reflections in The Five Minute Journal.

In the morning, you talk about what you are grateful for, write down intentions for the day & write a positive affirmation.

Then, at the end of the day, you write what went well + what you could have done to make the day better. You don’t realize the power of this kind of reflection & intention setting, but this helps in shifting your mindset. I love this journal because it is very short and straight to the point. These daily exercises help you with being able to set actionable goals for yourself.

Read

Reading is one of those activities that I really love, but I sometimes have a hard time getting myself to settle down with a good book. Instead of turning on TV to help me fall asleep, I started picking up a book and reading while in bed. Reading has been the perfect way for me to really calm my mind down and lets me naturally get sleepy. Reading is much better at preparing you for sleep than scrolling on your phone! It’s definitely a habit that I have seen a huge difference with.

Some books that I’m loving right now:

Guided Meditation

I personally have a love/hate relationship with meditation because I’m still really bad at it. I’ve been trying to make this a daily habit for a couple years now and it’s one of those things that takes some (lots) time to master. But, when I do practice meditation, I notice how much more relaxed and calm my mind is. Even if it’s just listening to calming music, rather than a guided meditation. Just a couple of minutes can work wonders!

I do recommend getting some guided meditation apps on your phone to try out nightly. Most of them have free options so you don’t have to commit to monthly payments if you don’t think that you’ll need that kind of investment. Some guided meditation apps that I like are Sanvello, Calm & Simple Habit.


That’s my night routine! I usually like to give myself an hour to an hour and a half before I want to go to sleep. The more that I allow myself to unwind, the better quality sleep I am able to get. This routine has helped me in so many ways & I hope you found this to be helpful!

What are your favorite ways to unwind at the end of the day?!

xx,
-jess

Preparing for the best week ever

I don’t know about you, but my weekends are really important to me. How I spend them is even more important. 

For me, I need a couple days completely away from work, to rest my mind & my body. Doing this allows me to make sure that I’m not working myself to burnout & lose motivation. Since I’ve learned that I get stressed out easily, the best way to handle this is to try to prevent it before it starts.

The best way to prevent stress for me is to make sure that I’m planning ahead and being prepared. Have you ever heard the saying, “If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail?”. Meaning, there is great importance in making sure you that you plan ahead.

I used to do all of my prepping & planning on Sunday, but I’ve noticed that this makes me feel like I have to dedicate a whole day to more work. Thus feeling like I haven’t been able to rest & go into the next week feeling tired & a bit frazzled. 

I’ve been able to figure out what things need to be done before entering the next week, as well as a system that works for me. This helps to ensure that I don’t have to cram everything in on Sunday. 

Since implementing the system I’m discussing in this post, I’ve been able to see a difference in my stress levels. I’ve also been able to stay on track with my fitness goals & have ultimately been more productive as a result. (You can read more about how I remain on track in my post on Why I Check In With Myself Every Week)

This system has been several months testing out to get to figuring out what works for me, and I hope this helps you in developing a plan that work for YOU and YOUR schedule/life.

PLANNING OUT MEALS

I think one of the main things that people struggle with, is having the time to make healthy meals. The best thing to be able to do in order to make sure that you are able to stick to your goals & save time, is planning out your meals ahead of time! 

I usually start thinking about the meals for the next week on Wednesday’s. Thinking about this allows me to be able to brainstorm healthy meals & to see what meals I can make with the items that I already have in my apartment at the moment. Planning out my meals ahead of time also lets me keep a running list of groceries that I need to get for the next week.

My boyfriend and I usually take turns making dinner. He does Mondays & Wednesdays and I do Tuesdays and Thursdays. Taking turns definitely helps take a little bit off of my plate, but planning ahead definitely takes some of the stress off of my plate!

GROCERY SHOPPING

I usually think of meals for the next week on Wednesdays because I like to do my errands on Thursday afternoons- including grocery shopping. If I don’t have time to get to run my errands on Thursdays, we go either Friday evening or Saturday mornings. 

I used to go grocery shopping on Sundays, but I avoid doing this anymore because the grocery store is always so busy & it takes up so much time. So, getting the grocery shopping done and out of the way has really made a big difference in being able to free up some time!

CHOPPING VEGGIES / MEAL PREPPING

I ALWAYS make sure that I have veggies chopped before going into the next week. This is something I usually do Sundays because it’s easy and doesn’t too much time. But, doing this over the weekend helps save a TON of time during the week when I’m cooking!

I chop lettuce, spinach, bell peppers, onions, celery, and any other vegetables that we are going to be using throughout the week. Spending an hour or so chopping all of the veggies over the weekend helps with being able to just grab what I need easily, without the hassle of having to wash the cutting board several times throughout the week!

PLANNING SOCIAL MEDIA CONTENT

Ohhhh this is a HUGE one! For those of you who don’t know, I started my business in Social Media Management last year and learned about all of the ins and outs of using social media strategically for business. I learned a lot about strategy and I even put everything that I learned into Ultimate Social Media Guides.

One of the main tips that is pretty much essential in success in using social media for business, is planning and scheduling content ahead of time! Planning ahead saves you so much time and hassle and makes sure that you are always staying on top of your game. It’s one of my main 7 Fool-Proof Social Media Strategies!

I’ve heard a lot of people plan out their posts for the upcoming week on Sundays, but that is honestly too much work for me to do on Sundays. Plus, it usually takes a couple times of running through the posts before I feel like they are ready to go. 

I actually start planning out content 4-6 weeks ahead of time. Then, the Monday before, I start finalizing the next week’s posts, so that I am always a week ahead. By planning this ahead of time, I am able to make any changes throughout the week if needed, so I’m not rushing to get everything planned out.

For example, here’s is what my week looks like when planning my posts:

Mondays- Map out posts for the next week

Tuesdays- Edit any graphics + write captions

Wednesdays- Work on blogs & blog strategy

Thursdays- Finish scheduling all posts for next week

PLANNING OUT TO-DOS FOR THE WEEK

In working from home & being my own boss, I have to make sure that I am being very clear on my to-do’s for the week. It has taken a long time to figure out the system that works for me.

I usually start brain dumping and planning out the next week on Thursdays and finalize the plan on Fridays when I know for sure what each task is. 

LAUNDRY

Ah laundry… one of those highly dreaded chores, but very important chore. I actually do my laundry on Friday mornings before I go to my meeting. When I get home from the gym, I throw my clothes in the laundry, by the time I have to leave for the meeting, they are already in the dryer. I then do my towels when I get home from the meeting and put everything away in the afternoon.

Doing my laundry throughout the day on Fridays also saves a lot of time that I can use to my self on Sundays!

Reflection & Setting Intentions

Something that I have recently added into my routine is reflecting on the past week & setting intentions for the upcoming week. It’s hard to plan ahead & keep up with your goals if you don’t keep track of how it’s going!

Here are some things to think about:

  • What went well this week?
  • What didn’t go well?
  • What could I do better?
  • What are 3 things that I want to focus on this week?
  • How am I going to make sure I prioritize self care?

Want some strategies to setting goals & actually reaching them?! Check out my 5 tips for crushing your goals!


Doing a little bit of planning and preparation throughout the week has really helped in making sure that I can enjoy my weekends. It feels so much better going into the weekend feeling like I can enjoy the time to myself & relax! 

Everyone talks about Sunday being the day to do everything- grocery shopping, meal prepping, planning the week, laundry, ALL OF IT. If that works for you, and it used to for me, that’s absolutely fine! However, I started noticing that trying to do everything on Sunday takes up the whole day & I was going into the next week feeling frazzled. 

Everyone’s schedule is different & different things will work for different people. It’s all about finding what works for you! ❤

What do you need to do to prepare for the week ahead?!

xx,
-jess

Journal Prompts for Self Reflection & Self Discovery

Journaling has become a really important part of my self-care & self-discovery over the years. Especially during stressful times, journaling has helped me with getting everything out of my head and onto paper. I talk about how journaling has helped with my mental health in my post about The Importance of Self Care & The Power of Journaling

I truly believe in the healing & therapeutic nature of journaling. While I talk about journaling a lot and how helpful it can be, I also understand that you might not know what to write about. I actually completed a journal prompt challenge in my Facebook group throughout April.

The ladies in my Facebook group loved this challenge and mentioned that the prompts helped them with discovering more about themselves and how to better handle stressful situations. Being able to understand more about yourself can be helpful in making sure that you are prepared, ultimately helping you to be able to move forward.

Here are some journal prompts to try out if you are looking to get into journaling and need some guidance:

  1. What limiting beliefs are holding me back?

  2. What habit would I like to break?

  3. How can I love myself more daily?

  4. What do I need to get off my chest today?

  5. How do my worries affect my daily life?

  6. On a scale to 1-10, my mental health is at a ___ because ____

  7. If I could achieve anything in life, what would it be?

  8. How am I feeling today?

  9. What brings me the most peace and balance in my life?

  10. What was my biggest learning moment this week?

  11. How can I be more kind to myself?

  12. What 3 things am I looking forward to this week & why?

  13. I am strong because…

  14. When times get tough, I want to remember that…

  15. What makes me happiest?

  16. What inspires me right now?

  17. What can I do to start taking better care of myself?

  18. What are my stress triggers?

  19. What is something I need to let go of? Why do I think I’m holding onto it?

  20. What would life be like if my stressors weren’t present?

  21. What are alternative ways to handle my stress?

  22. What do I think my mission in life is?

  23. How do I react to negative feelings?

  24. What do I love about myself?

  25. What obstacles have I overcome?

  26. What keeps me motivated?

  27. Where am I putting in too much energy?

  28. Where am I putting in not enough energy?

  29. What are 5 moments in my life when I was truly happy?

  30. What lessons have I learned?

  31. How are you feeling right now? What emotions come up?

  32. List everything that you are worried about right now

  33. What do you look forward to everyday?

  34. How do I handle stressful situations?

  35. If I could achieve anything in life, what would it be?

  36. What do I feel like my life is missing and how can I get more of what I need?

  37. Where do I want to be in 5 years?

  38. When am I the happiest version of me?

  39. What are 3 negative mindsets I need to let go of?

  40. Am I doing all that I can to reach my goals?

  41. What steps can I take to be the most confident version of myself?

  42. If I could be anything in the world, what would it be?

  43. How would I describe the perfect day?

  44. I forgive myself for…

  45. I deserve happiness because…

  46. What are 5 things I’m proud of myself for?

  47. What is most important to me right now?

  48. What are my biggest fears?

  49. What is my favorite quality about myself?

  50. In the next month, I want to…

Want these journal prompts in a printable guide?!


I am also a big advocate for expressing gratitude everyday. I started using The Five Minute Journal 4 days a week in addition to my journaling and I absolutely love it!

I love this journal because it’s quick & gets right to the point. I’ve been using this journal for a couple years now and it’s really good for getting you in the habit of expressing gratitude.

Practicing gratitude will help you with your mindset & what you are focusing on everyday. Focusing what you do have and what you are still in control of. When you focus on what you still have & what you are still in control of, you are more likely to make healthier choices & be better able to show up for yourself!

I hope you found this to be helpful. ❤ The prompts included in this post can be so incredibly transformative & help you understand more about yourself!

xx
-Jess

Why I Check In With Myself Every Week

One question that I get a lot is: “How have you been able to remain consistent?” I think this is a great question because it was a long journey to figure out the secret to consistency.

I want to share a strategy that I started implementing that has helped me stay consistent in my fitness journey over the last couple years. Not only has this strategy helped with my physique, but it’s helped me make sure that I am monitoring my mental health as well.

A couple years ago, I went through a really rough time in my life. I fell into a depression & ultimately I felt like everything was crumbling around me. I wanted to pick myself back up & keep moving forward, but I felt stuck, lost and confused. I was constantly beating myself up for not not being able to get myself back “on track”. (If you want more info on how I got through this particular time, you can read more about My 8 Step Process to Overcoming Depression).

What I noticed was that I was having trouble being consistent & it became more & more frustrating. Every time I thought I was gaining positive momentum, I would fall off track again. It was incredibly frustrating & discouraging. I was constantly getting frustrated with myself for thinking that I wasn’t making progress, not understanding what I needed to do to keep moving forward. 

What I eventually realized is that I needed to understand where my baseline was mentally & physically.  I needed clarity and understanding about what I needed to do to keep moving forward. 

I think that a lot of people trying to find balance in their lives and trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle struggle with consistency. I’ve been able to maintain consistency in my healthy lifestyle for a while now and I’ve had a handful of people reach out to me asking what I’ve done to maintain this lifestyle. 

So… what is this secret strategy that I started implementing?

Weekly mental, emotional, physical check in with myself.

I started doing this weekly check in to keep myself accountable & do an evaluation of where I am in my life mentally, emotionally & physically. 

The idea for this came from my fitness journey when I would take progress pictures to track my physical progress. While this is important, I also think that it’s incredibly important to track your mental & emotional well-being as well. 

So, I created a weekly evaluation for myself that I call the Mind + Body Inventory & what I believe is the first step to a better mindset.  

Here’s what it looks like:

Every Monday morning I,

  • take a series of progress pictures (front, side, back)
  • do measurements of my waist, hips, butt, bust, arm & leg
  • upload them into a google drive and write answers to series of questions evaluating where I am mentally & emotionally. 

Here’s what I have noticed as a result of checking in with myself every week:

It keeps me accountable

It is really easy to tell ourselves that we “don’t have time”. Self-care practices are very important, but are often the first things that we neglect due to the inevitable (not to mention, unhelpful) “I don’t have time”. But, our mental & physical health determines how we show up in our lives. 

Making it a necessity to check in with myself weekly, to see where I am and evaluate what’s going on in my life has helped significantly. I keep track of what’s going on and to be able to understand and determine what I need to do to keep moving forward. 

If I find myself coming up with an excuse to not do this, I tell myself that this needs to be done. It’s a necessity. I have goals and I am ready to take ACTION on them. It is a reminder that I need to do this in order to make sure that I don’t fall into a hole of burnout again.

I talk more about this in my
Better Mindset Course!

I celebrate how far I have come 

Doing this evaluation also helps me to be able to track my progress, so I can see the progress I’ve made, when I didn’t think I’ve made any.

I’m really big on celebrating wins/accomplishments throughout a journey, because it helps keep me motivated (I even wrote a post on this in The Importance of Celebrating Accomplishments). It’s really discouraging when you think that you haven’t accomplished very much when you’ve been working really hard.

This weekly check in helps me be able to really look at everything from a different perspective & really be able to pinpoint what I’ve been able to accomplish. The journey is so much more enjoyable & encouraging when you are able to see & celebrate everything you’ve been able to accomplish.

I have proof & documentation of my progress

In doing a weekly check in with myself, I am able to keep track of where I am mentally, emotionally & physically. What I noticed in the past was that I was getting overwhelmed and ultimately feeling frustrated when I didn’t think all of my hard work was working.

In this exercise, I take pictures, measurements & do an evaluation of where I am mentally, emotionally & any stressors that are present. In keeping tabs on where I am in these categories, I have been able to keep up with my mental, emotional & physical state, thus helping me in being able to stay on track with my goals.

I can pinpoint the mind, body connection

In doing this, I can usually see a correlation between what I see in the pictures and my answers to the questions. If I notice I am a little more bloated than the week before, I have likely been stressed and might have been stress eating or something. 

Being able to pinpoint and understand where things are coming from and why they are happening, I am better able to come up with an action plan. It’s incredibly frustrating to feel like you don’t know what you should be doing in order to keep moving forward.

I’ve talked about this before, but I tend to get stressed out easily. The best thing for me to do is to try to prevent stress & overwhelm, because it’s really hard to get myself back together. So, in being able to keep tabs on everything going on, it helps me in being able to take necessary action.

I come up with a plan

In being able to pinpoint and understand where I am mentally, emotionally and physically, I am better able to make the necessary adjustments.

For example, if I find that I am feeling overwhelmed in my business, I need to spend time journaling about what’s on my mind.

Sometimes, the things that are bothering us are stuck in our subconscious and we need to bring them to the surface so we can deal with them. That’s what doing this check in with myself helps me do. It helps me to be able to make sure that everything is in line. If there’s something off, it keeps me cognizant of whatever is going on around me.


This weekly check in is something that I know a lot of people will say that they don’t have time for. It’s something that can be seen as a “I will do it if I have time, which I probably don’t so I’m going to make every excuse not to do it” kind of thing.

Trust me, I totally get being busy and making the choice to remove seemingly unnecessary tasks. However, I now see this exercise as a non-negotiable for me because it’s ultimately helped me be better able to show up in every area of life.

  • I’ve been able to stick to my goals.
  • I’ve been able to show up better in my business.
  • I’ve kept my stress & overwhelm under control so that I am more productive and can better serve my clients and women in my Facebook group.

So, these tasks that we tend to put off due to thinking that they are unimportant just might be detrimental to how you are showing up in your life right now. I just want to make sure that you are taking care of yourself here. I preach about The Importance of Self-Care all the time and I do so because I truly believe that it is essential in creating a foundation for your life.

You must take care of yourself in order to show up better in every aspect of your life. Saying that you don’t have time is simply just an excuse.

So, are you going to start making it a priority to show up for yourself? Are you going to make it a goal to make it a habit to check in with your mental, emotional & mental well-being?

I truly hope so!

xx

-Jess

My Morning Routine During Quarantine

I made a prediction that we would start feeling the mental & emotional effects of the disruption of our day-to-day lives within 2-3 weeks. I made this prediction knowing that the anger & frustration would soon dissipate and turn mental. As a mental health advocate, I always want to make sure that I am doing everything I can to take care of myself & provide as much guidance to others that I possibly can.

I noticed myself struggling during the first full week of April. Ever since I went through my own experience with mental health struggles and depression, I have been able to identify my warning signs that something just isn’t right. 

If you know me or have been following me for some time now, you know that I turned to fitness and going to the gym first thing in the morning. I used my morning workouts for many reasons, including maintaining my healthy habits & keeping my mental health on track. 

With being forced to stay home and out of my routine, I would be lying if I said that I didn’t struggle to adjust to this new normal. That’s definitely true for everyone, right? 

Well, here’s the thing. We can’t control the current unprecedented circumstances that we find ourselves in, but we CAN control how we respond. I know this can be extremely hard because the pain that this whole thing has caused can seem to be so severe that it overshadows all of the positives that can come from this and all that you CAN indeed control. 

For me, my mornings are sacred. How I spend my mornings are extremely important for determining how the rest of my day is going to go & how I show up. One thing that I’ve missed since working out in the morning is my slow mornings to really just take it easy and ease into the day. I have more information in my posts on How/ Why I Go To The Gym At 5AM & My Morning Routine As A Young Entrepreneur Working From Home.

What I started noticing

  • unhealthy choices
  • increased anxiety & stress levels
  • bloating all over my body
  • low energy/exhaustion (needing to lay down and take a nap almost everyday)
  • creative blocks 
  • lack of motivation

So, I wanted to share with you how I have adjusted my morning routine based on what I have learned over the years. I’ve focused on what I am still in control of and utilized the knowledge that I have about what I need. 

I hope you find this helpful in creating a routine for yourself, based on what it is that YOU need!

GET UP EARLY AS USUAL.

One thing that I noticed to be important for me is waking up early in the morning. It’s just something that is important for my mental health & stress. I don’t handle sleeping in very well, especially during the week because it makes me feel rushed. 

I understand that it sounds a bit crazy to some people, but for me, I noticed that getting up at the same time as I would to go to the gym has helped. Instead of working out, I take it easy and let myself ease into my morning. 

I very much rely on time to myself to maintain a healthy mental health and being able to create that time to allow myself to have that time to myself has been very important. 

However, what I have noticed is that I started getting more and more exhausted for reasons that I am not sure of. This could be due to the fact that emotions and stress levels are higher, therefore I am feeling more rundown than usual. So, I have learned to listen to my body and let myself sleep in a little bit if I need to do so a couple days during the week. Not just during this time, but all the time! Your body will tell you what it needs and it’s important to listen and not get frustrated. 

GET RIGHT INTO THE SHOWER.

For me, I don’t feel like my day can really start if I don’t jump in the shower. My new routine included going to the bathroom and getting right into the shower to wake up and get in the mindset to get my day started. 

DRINK 24oz OF WATER.

When I go to the gym in the morning, I usually drink at least 16oz of water before I go to the gym and drink another 24oz-32oz while I’m at the gym. I would rely on that to make sure that I am getting in my water. Starting the day with water is incredibly important and comes with many benefits. 

Now that I don’t have the gym to rely on, I started making it a goal to drink 24oz of water right when I get up. Before I start drinking coffee and eating breakfast. It helps for many reasons, but I also always feel dehydrated and lethargic when I wake up anyway, so getting in 24oz of cold water upon waking up really helps with waking up my body and making me feel more energized and I notice that I don’t feel as bloated, plus I don’t get headaches like I would if I neglected getting in the water.

MEDITATE & JOURNAL.

After I get showered and drink most of my water, I go into the living room and do a 5-10 minute guided meditation and journal.

MOVE MY BODY.

When I don’t go to the gym in the morning, I always make it a goal to get in 1000 steps. I understand this might sound a bit bizarre to some, but I started pacing around the apartment or lightly jogging in place to move my body and start getting in steps. This doesn’t take long but it always feels so good to start moving my body right away. Not to mention, it always wakes up my body even more. I am so used to the treadmill really waking me up in the morning and doing this releases those endorphins that I am used to.

GET MY COFFEE & WATCH THE NEWS.

By this time, I’ve already been awake for about an hour and I have really taken the time to prioritize myself and I am feeling awake and ready to take on the day. So, at this point I will grab my coffee and turn on the news. 

One thing that I do miss since I have started working out in the morning is just relaxing and taking it easy before sunrise. So, I am really taking the time to enjoy being able to do this. I love just sitting on the couch and sipping my coffee. If I am feeling like it, I will grab my laptop or planner and get some work done.

BREAKFAST AT 6AM.

I do this until my boyfriend wakes up at 6am. We still eat breakfast at this time because he still has to clock in for work at 7am. 

MAKE THE BED.

After breakfast, I will make the bed since my boyfriend is up. I am definitely one of those people who has to make the bed in order to be able to get my day started. It’s like being able to immediately check something off my to-do list and makes me feel like I am already starting to get things done. 

GO ON A WALK AT SUNRISE.

I’ve started going on walks when the weather is nice at sunrise. It’s just another layer that I have added to my routine that I have found really helpful. It allows me to get some light cardio and also get some fresh air. 

By this time I start getting ready to tackle my workday. My workday looks a little bit different than usual, but I just take it a day at a time. 


I don’t follow this routine exactly everyday, but I have found these elements to be helpful in making sure that I am doing what I can to manage my stress and anxiety. Over the years, I’ve been able to learn about what it is that I need to manage my stress & anxiety. Using that information, I’ve been able to learn about what I am in control of and be able to focus on what I can start implementing to make sure that I am doing what I can to get through this. 

I hope you found this to be at least a little bit helpful. I know that it sounds a bit crazy to some people, but this was developed based on what works for me. It’s always important to make sure that you are adjusting your routine based on what works best for you. Maybe you don’t need such a structured routine and you are doing well sleeping in as much as possible. 

That’s OK! Just make sure you are focusing on what you are in control of and doing what YOU need to do to get through this. ❤

Related posts:
>> Self Care & Activities During Quarantine
>> Tips for working from home
>> Staying on track while stuck at home during quarantine

xx
-Jess